Saturday, 3 July 2010

Summer Day 3 & 4

Day 3

The day didn't start well. 


Jamie, my mother and I spent the day in Mong Kok; "mong kok" in chinese means is "busy area". 

We walked down Goldfish street, as the name states, it is a street that basically sells fish. All sorts of marine life - exotic fish, gold fish, turtles,  Shrimps, coral, anemones... etc. 

There are also several pet shops with all the animals in windowed 'cages' for people to look at. So many adorable puppies. The one dog that sticks in my mind, is a White Chow Chow. I had never seen one before and it just looked like a small polar bear cub.  
(credit for image on the right to picturehunt)


We also went to the flower market: a collection of streets, which sell all sorts of plants and garden related items. Orchids are a big thing in Hong Kong and a lot of asia. They are beautiful plants that need a lot of care and expertise to grow and flower. My mother loves them and has a lot of the different species.

After a lot of walking around, we made our way up to a large chinese restaurant. We were celebrating my Grandmother's birthday, with my entire chinese family (aunts, uncles, cousins and my grandmother). There were 20 people total, which when all speaking cantonese loudly to each other, sounds like a lot more. I pretty much threw Jamie into the deep end. 

I decided to record what we ate, as it is very different to what other 'celebrations' would have.  There were 11 large dishes for each of the 2 tables we took up, to be served out and shared for all of us. 
(please click the image to enlarge where I've written what the dishes are)

Day 4

My mother and I went out on this day to renew my China Return Home Pass, and we left Jamie home alone. We managed to get it done relatively painlessly, which is rare with these sort of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment